Pages

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Scalp Hunting and Apache Helicopters

http://www.collateralmurder.com/

I don't usually post things like this, and I know I'm a bit behind the times, but having just started to re-read Blood Meridian for the umpteenth time I could not help but see a similarity.
The kind of death and devastation that everyone knows took place in the ancient and medieval worlds and McCarthy shows in our own country (Blood Meridian is based on actual, historical, events in the 1840s), goes on today. There is no stopping it. We are no better than our parents and they no better than theirs.
Everyone knows Vietnam was just as bad but you are a fool if you think WWII was any different.
I have said before that governments are evil, and that if we could get rid of them things would be better. This is foolishness, there is no improving humans, there is no advancing the species. This is our heritage and we have to find some way of dealing with it, some way of escaping it.
popular methods include: alcohol (Blood Meridian), drugs (every rock band ever), sex (just about everyone, ever) and Tolkien (my personal favorite).

No comments:

Post a Comment